ARRANGE A LITTER PICK
Arrange a Litter Pick
Many of you have been in contact with the Council about how you can help tackle the major rise in litter across public spaces. The Council is encouraging people to get involved in a monthly Fair Oak Spring Clean.
The Council would like to help residents by supplying the equipment you need and, with the help of Eastleigh Borough Council, collecting the rubbish you pick up.
We can lend equipment for groups of up to 20 volunteers (subject to government restrictions at the time) including litter grabbers and hi-vis vests, for organised litter-picking events. We will supply rubbish sacks and arrange to collect the waste after the litter pick.
Whilst we appreciate and value the help of our residents in keeping our Parish tidy, the Chairman of the Council asks that you
"Please remember that your personal safety must always come first. If you are planning a clean-up, please get permission from the landowner and follow our health and safety guidance to make sure you and your volunteers stay safe on your litter pick."
HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDANCE:
Consider where you plan to litter pick, be aware of any hazards in the area, and ensure all volunteers are aware of the safety advice.
If you choose to go litter picking, for your safety, please;
- don't litter pick along roads with a speed limit of more than 30mph, highways or highway verges, or any roads where there is no pavement or footpath
- avoid litter-picking steep slopes, cliff edges, or in water courses
always litter pick in daylight, and wear appropriate clothing and footwear, including a hi-vis vest if possible
- use a litter grabber to pick things up, and don't attempt to pick up anything too heavy, sharp, or hazardous
- report any fly-tipping or hazardous items, such as needles, to the Borough Council as soon as possible at www.eastleigh.gov.uk
- be aware of other people, dogs, and wildlife, and make sure children are supervised at all times
- don't enter private land without permission